Feeling better


Its been a little over three weeks since I took a digger on the infamous Black Eagle run (so extreme it was named 'groomer's choice' the day after my accident...) in Crested Butte and seriously torqued my shoulder/torso. Of course, to make things even more dramatic, the fall happened three days after leaving my job at the Bikes Belong Coalition to pursue a career in independent film-making, writing and photography. It was a dramatic week. No job, a broken body, a missed 'man trip' to Telluride that weekend, and looking at the prospect of a potentially torn rotator cuff and six months out of action. Ouch, talk about putting the brakes on the fun train.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things I'm about the luckiest guy I know, so a few bumps in the road are nothing to complain about, especially since I've got the best group of family and friends you can hope for to keep things running. I even picked a pretty good body part to hurt as my awesome step dad Fast Eddie happens to be an accomplished shoulder surgeon. I joked with him after the fall that I was just trying to help him out in the recession...

After recovering in Crested Butte for a few days under the watchful and caring eye of Sue and Graham I headed back to Boulder and then to Moab for an evaluation with the doc. Turned out I was lucky. After x-rays and an MRI, we were sure I hadn't broken or torn anything so its been simply a matter of taking it easy and letting things get back to normal.

Two weeks to the day after my crash I was back in Boulder after spending the weekend in Moab with Dr Ed and mom. The weather has been incredible on the front range of Colorado this spring so I took advantage and got back on the bike. Things were definitely pretty stiff and sore but I've been taking it super easy and managed 6 days in a row. Aside from a fair bit of lingering soreness and pain in my back and shoulders things are back on track, which is nice because I'm not that into asking my girlfriend to lift heavy objects for me, or watching streams of riders head past my window on a sunny day and not joining them.

So things are looking up, although the weather is calling for 5-8" of snow tonight in Boulder. I'm fine with it though as this spring has been DRY here. As cool as it is to ride lucious mountain singletrack in Colorado in February we need the moisture. If not, we're in for a long, dusty, hot summer.

Comments

Popular Posts